As a general rule, there are two types of voluntary agreements that are used in workers` compensation cases. The first type is described as a voluntary “judicial” agreement. It recalls the acceptance of the claim. The fact that the employer is responsible for the injury is consistent with a judgment. Both parties sign the agreement and the Commissioner approves it. The advantage of this type of voluntary agreement is that the employer or its insurance company will no longer be able to challenge the claim. Almost all cases, if adopted, deserve such voluntary agreement. A: If your injury prevents you from working, you may be entitled to a weekly benefit, the amount determined by the average amount you earned in the fifty-two weeks prior to your injury/disability. The weekly amount you receive is referred to as your base rate of pay. Aggrieved workers who have more than one employer may be entitled to benefits paid by both the employer responsible for the injury in the workplace and the non-responsible employer. The second largest claims fund in the State of Connecticut is required to pay benefits on behalf of the non-responsible employer.

MSA or Medicare, an amount provided in a compensation contract for future medical care related to injury or illness. VA – same voluntary agreement – a contract (usually four copies on coloured paper) that identifies the applicant, employer and insurer, date of violation, compensation rate and other information relevant to the claim. Both parties sign the VA and it is approved by the Commission. It is not a final settlement. Voluntary agreements should be subject to very careful consideration before signing. Simultaneous employment – a different job than the one in which the applicant was the victim of an injury in which the applicant was employed in the 52 weeks prior to the date of the injury. Wages from simultaneous employment are included in the increase in the basic compensation rate in certain circumstances. DWR – formerly a worker rehabilitation service, now a rehabilitation service – offers refresher internships, school education, placement and other professional services to injured workers who are no longer able to perform their previous activities due to injuries. A: If your injury affects your ability to work in your regular job but you are still able to do some employment, you are entitled to partial disability benefits. If you are able to return to the workforce but have reduced hours or reduced wages due to your injury, the partial temporary benefit is the difference between your base rate of pay and your salary.